Something that has bitten me a couple of times. If you are trying to copy an STSADM command line from a web page and paste it directly to the command prompt box on a SharePoint server. Don’t.
It doesn’t work because of something to do with pasting HTML style text into a DOS text prompt.
Re-type the command line or paste to a text editor as unformatted text and remove any formatting before copying and pasting from the text editor to the command line.
In a day plagued with SharePoint errors, this one was a minor issue.
Value does not fall within the expected range. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFolderCollection.get_Item(String urlOfFolder)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.CommonUtilities.GetDocLibByUrl(SPWeb web, String webRelativeUrl)
This arose because the site that I was trying to Activate SharePoint Publishing service was within a Site Collection that had the service disabled. Enabling at the collection level, then allowed enabling at the site level.
I came up with this error when I manually created a ‘Pages’ library and was trying to create New page in the library.
The site is not valid. The ‘Pages’ document library is missing. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb.get_PagesList()
…agesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
The issue is that the ‘Pages’ library is created automagically by a Team Site template but not with a Blank Site template. My quickie solution was to recreate the new site that I was just starting and use the Team Site template instead of the Blank template and just remove the other components that I did not need.
I am sure there is a better way but I’ll look for it later. Expedience is, as always, the driver.
This is really a part of a longer story but I wanted to get this bit documented before I lost track of which error occurred when.
I was following this blog reference in order to fix something else but had another error occur mid-process.
Basically the instructions are:
- Disable Publishing in the site
- Disable Publishing in the site collection
- Enable Publishing in the site collection
- Enable Publishing in the site.
The error occurred when trying step #3 to re-enable the publishing.
The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object ‘proc_putObject’, database ”, schema ‘dbo’. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Bool…..
It appears that the Disable option is not permission controlled while the enable option is. What I discovered was that while the service account had permissions on most of the sharepoint db’s it was not dbo_owner on the config DB. I found this using SQL Management tools and made the appropriate change to add db_owner permissions.
I could then re-enable the Publishing service.